Seventh day of June, in the year 1826. For centuries the Cantacuzino family, as one of the great houses, have been at the centre of Wallachian politics. During that time, the Family have weathered many changes, and survived many attacks. The Balenu family (who in recent years have aligned with the Ghica family) have always manoeuvred in opposition - often in secret but on occasion openly. The Ottoman Empire, during their current reign of power and resulting oppression of Wallachia, have attempted to destroy important family members, but their efforts have been blunt and cumbersome. Built on a foundation of tradition and tight family ties, the Cantacuzino family has endured this (and much more) in its attempt to build, and ultimately profit from, a just and strong Wallachian society.
And now the Head of the House, Duna Cantacuzino, is dead. Following the old ways his body lay in state within the family home in Bucharest for a period of 100 hours, and is now being transported to the ancient Cantacuzino graveyard in Craiova for internment. With the funeral period over the rebuilding task can begin: starting with the selection of a replacement for Duna. As tradition dictates, direct family members will select the new Head of the House, by vote, before the next New Moon leaves the dusk horizon. On the final night those within travelling distance have gathered together for a final wake and to discuss the future. However, without much time a decision will have to be made tonight. And with the suddenness of Duna's death causing suspicions, a possible alliance with the Balenu family and the likelihood of yet another Russo-Turkish war to be fought through Wallachia; the future fortunes or fate of the Cantacuzino family is very much at stake.
Head of House Candidates
- Jelani Cantacuzino: Son of Duna. He is a passionate, decent man who wishes to marry for love, not his family’s interests. An exceptional duelist.
- Gamyuka Cantacuzino: Brother to Duna. A military man, he is a rational intellect who is in the running at his wife’s insistence.
Duna’s Immediate Family
- Adanna Lior: Daughter to Duna. She supports her brother, and desperately wants to find out who killed her father.
- Iulia Cantacuzino: Mother to Duna and Gamyuka, she rules the clan with an iron fist. Is fond of Jelani, but disagrees with him on some issues.
- Jofranka Cantacuzino: A social butterfly and gypsy, she is Gamyuka’s wife and wants him as Head. Is rumored to know ‘magic’.
- Beniamen Lior: Husband to Adanna, he is a merchant and brought great wealth with him. His family is rumored to be heavily involved in alchemy.
Duna’s Nephews and Nieces
- Kizzy Abijah: Daughter of Gamyuka, she takes after her mother a great deal. Supports Jelani’s decision on marriage, but is still undecided on the vote.
- Chanoch Abijah: Husband to Kizzy, he is a well-respected Jewish scholar. He is fiercely proud of the Cantacuzinos, despite not being accepted by most family members.
- Amadi Cantacuzino: Cousin to the family. Well-versed in the history of the family, but not overly interested in politics. Well-loved, but forgettable.
- Isoba Cantacuzino: Cousin to Duna, he helped arrange the marriage between Jeilani and a girl from the Balenu family. He and Duna were very close.
- Wadim Cantacuzino: Cousin to the family. As a banker, he is not very interested in the inter-family politics: he just wants to make connections. Has heard rumors…
- Danut Cantacuzino: Cousin to the family. Somebody here killed Duna, and it was definitely with the help of a vampire. Expose them and get help to destroy the abomination!
- Serghei Popescu: Butler to Duna, he comes from an illegitimate family line that has served the Cantacuzinos for generations. He has his suspicions about Duna’s death…
- Ahina Popescu: Housekeeper to Duna, she half-raised Adanna, Jelani and their siblings. Sister to Serghei, she may know something about Duna’s death…
"Admired, not required".
I've played this LARP, and I highly recommend it.